By Peter Lawler
Locations the paintings of Johan Galtung within the context of prior and present debates in diplomacy, political conception, and extra ordinarily, within the social sciences. This complete and important account scrutinises Galtung's conceptual icons, reminiscent of, optimistic peace and structural violence.
Read or Download A Question of Values: Johan Galtung's Peace Research PDF
Similar war & peace books
In an international the place barriers and borders are blurred and doubtless far-off threats can metastasize speedy, the conflict opposed to worldwide poverty has develop into a struggle of necessity--not just because morality calls for it, yet simply because worldwide safeguard does besides. simply as poverty begets lack of confidence, the opposite is usually real.
The United States s neighborhood international coverage priorities are transferring, towards Asia, the center East, Latin the US, and Africa, and clear of Europe and Russia. Wiarda examines those alterations and the explanations for them in every one of those neighborhood components during this accomplished paintings on international standpoint on American international coverage.
This intensively researched quantity covers a formerly missed element of yank heritage: the international coverage viewpoint of the peace progressives, a bloc of dissenters within the U. S. Senate, among 1913 and 1935. The Peace Progressives and American overseas family is the 1st full-length paintings to target those senators through the height in their collective impact.
- Ejército de los Estados Unidos
- Kosovo and International Society
- Elicitive Conflict Transformation and the Transrational Shift in Peace Politics
- The US Commitment to NATO in the Post-Cold War Period
- Amnesty, Human Rights and Political Transitions: Bridging the Peace and Justice Divide (Studies in International Law)
Extra resources for A Question of Values: Johan Galtung's Peace Research
12. " This is also a theme that runs throughout this discussion of Galtung's work. 13. Harvey is citing the editorial of PRECIS 6, 1987. See his The Condition of Postmodernity, p. 9. 40 41 14. , p. 44. 15. Rosenau, Postmodernism and The Social Sciences, pp. 4-5. 16. , p. 16 17. White, "Poststructuralism and Political Reflection," p. 191. 18. Roy, Walker, and Ashley, "Dialogue: Towards a Critical Social Theory of International Politics," p. 88. It is insightful to contrast Walker's and Ashley's contributions to this dialogue with Rosenau's distinction between skeptical and affirmative postmodern voices in mind.
Pp. 308-309. Compare with ECC, pp. 41-49. 21. Galtung, "Social Structure and Science Structure," pp. 35-37. 22. , pp. 24-27, 37. The case is made here in very broad terms with no historical or empirical references. Compare with the more nuanced analysis of the scientization of politics in Habermas, Toward a Rational Society, chs. 4-6. 23. Galtung, "Science as Invariance-Seeking and Invariance-Breaking Activity," p. 72. 24. " Toward a Rational Society, preface and ch. 5. 25. " See his Jurgen Habermas, p.
In subsequent discussion I will be referring to the revised version of this paper, published in 1977 as part of Methodology and Ideology (EM, 1) and hereafter referred to as ECC. 6. Galtung, Theory and Methods of Social Research. 7. " The popularity of Galtung's text has frequently been mentioned to me by students and teachers of statistics and sociological research methods in Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States. 8. Galtung, Theory and Methods of Social Research, p. 490. 9. " pp.
A Question of Values: Johan Galtung's Peace Research by Peter Lawler